10/27/09

11 Kitchen Tip: Storing Fresh Ginger Root


I had been using powdered ginger for years.

Then I discovered whole dried ginger. The dried ginger stored well and when finely grated, gave off a wonderful aroma.

Then I discovered fresh ginger root. There is nothing that can compete with the smell and taste of fresh ginger root. Unfortunately, it does not last long in the fridge.

If you go through fresh ginger root quickly, the best way to store it is in a paper bag in the vegetable crisper drawer in your fridge.


If you are like me, using ginger occasionally, the best way is to peel the ginger root and then freeze it.









When I want fresh ginger, I just pull it out of the freezer, use my microplane grater and grate away...

Try it. You'll never go back to the powdered stuff ~

11 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea and one I had not thought of before. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great tip, Frieda. Like you, I used to use powdered ginger for cooking. Fresh is so much better and I'm glad I discovered how well it freezes. Love this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good tip! I use fresh ginger most of the time, as it's available year round where I live. I'd had problems keeping it in the fridge, so I can't wait to try the freezing route. Here's to hoping I put an Asian dish on the menu next week to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fresh is the way to go, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, can beat the flavors and the aromas! Never thought about freezing the ginger, now I won't be throwing any away. PS. I love my microplane graters, I have 3 now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great tip! I've been freezing mine for over a year but I've never peeled it first. You way would be so much easier. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for you comment on my blog! Love the ginger idea, and the MUSHROOMS! I have never even thought of freezing them before. Sounds like a dieters delight to me. You have a lot of great ideas here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tip! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha this is hilarious!!! My "Did You Know That Wed is also about ginger. So funny! Thanks so much for the advice about those brownies. I thought they were yummy, but need to be changed to be better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great tip. I just recently tried fresh ginger for the first time, and am looking forward to using it more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great tip! Now what to do with all that dried ginger in my spice rack.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a bought jar of pickled ginger and was left with the brine. I decided to try slicing fresh ginger and brining it. It worked!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover