8/14/09

14 BBA: French Bread

French BreadThis is by far, the BEST french bread I have ever tasted. I imagined myself in Paris, cutting into a crusty loaf, and savoring in the tender crumb that has just a hint of sweetness. I could eat an entire baguette and not feel one ounce of remorse. It's that good.

The Bread Baker's Apprentice
and the challenge from Pinch My Salt has taught me so much about baking bread. The book is worth every penny....and worth making this bread.



The story of this bread begins with a pate fermentee, which is a pre-ferment.

Basically flour, salt, yeast and water made into a dough that sits in your fridge for up to 3 days. (or freezer for up to 3 months!)

The longer you let it sit, the better the flavor is!



The pre-ferment is taken out of the fridge and cut into 8-10 pieces.

Cover it with plastic wrap and let it get to room temperature~ about an hour.





Throw in the pre-ferment with additional flour, salt, yeast and water.

Next time, don't dump all the ingredients in. Flour flew up everywhere! Add the flour, a little at a time or alternate with the water.






I had to knead the flour by hand, as my 6 qt. Kitchen Aid was too large and didn't knead the dough. The dough just kept spinning around, stuck to the dough hook.

Next time, I'll use my trusty 4.5 qt classic Kitchen Aid mixer.

Put into an oiled pan, cover and let rise till double.



This is only after 45 minutes (high altitude, baby).

PR suggests to lightly degas the dough and let it rise again, covered, until it doubles again.

Just when I was ready to shape the dough, my hubby reminded me that we had a viewing to attend.


Interruptions happen. I degassed the dough (punched it down), oiled, covered it with plastic wrap and stuck it in the fridge. By the time I got home, it was time to go to bed.

The next morning (day 3), I took out the dough, cut it into 3 pieces, covered it and let it come to room temperature, which took 2 hours.

PR suggests to shape the dough into batards prior to shaping into baguettes.

I found this YouTube video are helpful from Northwest Sourdough. She demonstrates how to shape a batard and a boule.

It's all about SURFACE TENSION...which keeps your bread from spreading into flattened pieces of bread...


Flatten the dough slightly. Remember to handle the dough gently.










Take bottom half and bring it up to the middle.

Pinch down to seal.








Take top half and bring it way down to the bottom outside edge.










Pinch all the way around










corner to corner.









Turn seam side down and allow to rest 5-10 minutes prior to shaping into baguettes.









Turn seam side up.










Do the same thing as in the batard, taking the bottom half and bringing it to the middle, pressing down to seal.

Then take the top half and bring it to the outside edge, pinching seam to seal, corner to corner.






Place dough seam side down on lightly floured surface.

Using the top of your palms and starting in the middle, rock back and forth gently, rolling the dough out to desired length.

If the dough is resistant, cover and let rest for 5 minutes and try again.




Place seam side down on parchment paper.

I used the bottom of my baking sheets to allow the air in the oven to completely circulate around my loaves.




Now scoring, slashing, cutting, or docking, is something that requires practice, practice, practice~ it serves a dual purpose: to allow the loaves to expand during baking (remember all that 'surface tension' is keeping your loaves compact) and protects against having large tunnels or caverns in the bread.


I found a lame (la-may) at my kitchen store for $4. I watched a few YouTube videos and many of them used a straight edged lame, razor or sharp knife.

This curved one is going to take some practice.





PR says to make cuts at an angle, like opening an envelope, using the tip of the lame.

I started on the right, and progressively got better, as the one on the left suggests.

You have to be quick and decisive when making your slashes.

I'm not either. I'm slow and methodical


I probably could have cut a little deeper.

PR says the cuts are distinctive to the particular village or baker.

This is my rustic style!

I baked these for 20 minutes, with the steam and sprays at the beginning.

I could hear the baguettes 'singing' (crust makes crackling sound) as the bread was coming out of the oven. I waited patiently for 40 minutes to slice into it...

I was happily pleased with the crustiness, the open holes in the bread, and overall, the natural sweetness that did not come from sugar, but during the fermentation process.

How did I get these holes? By listening to Peter Reinhart:

"Handling it gently, retaining the gases during shaping, [to] promote large, irregular holes that release maximum flavor."


I store my artisan breads in a micro perf bag. It is a poly bag that has millions of tiny holes, or perforations in it.

I talked my friendly Harmon's baker into selling me 10 bags for $1.50.

It keeps the bread crusty until you are ready to eat it~



14 comments:

  1. I'm a seattle-ite in Spain on home exchange for a month and we've been having fabulous fresh bakery baguettes each morning. I want to learn how to make them so we can continue the tradition when we get home. Found you on twitter. Thanks for posting this. I also do a food/travel blog that's filled with Barcelona posts now. www.bainbridgestyle.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great step by step instructions! I wish I had a loaf for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay. I'll just say awesome! Wish I was in Paris...or at least in Utah...smelling & tasting this bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the best! My dad makes it all of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful loaves, Frieda! I'd never guess you hadn't made them before. I love French bread. It's one of the loaves I go back to time after time. There's just something so simple and comforting about tearing into a baguette. Great job, and nice write up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frieda, I can't wait to try this! I have never been able to get a loaf of french bread to look right. You make it look pretty easy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look great! I'm bookmarking this post for when I get to the French bread (I just finished ciabatta). I always have a hard time shaping baguettes, so your photos will be a big help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Frieda..I am getting the BBA book today. I am so excited about getting started on the bread baking..so is my husband, John. : -)

    Best,
    Kary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carla, I'm so jealous that you can have these fresh every morning!

    Maria, you are so lucky to have a dad as a bread maker~

    Phyl, you are so right, these are made for 'tearing' into~

    The BBA book has changed and enhanced my bread making skills. I hope you get it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful loaves. It totally looks like you are an old hand at this, judging from the final product!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the bread looks just awesome...will appreciate the recipe with the ingredient quantities.

    thanks.
    hema

    ReplyDelete
  12. the bread looks just awesome...will appreciate the recipe with the ingredient quantities.

    thanks.
    hema

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am getting ready to venture into bread making. I have joined your blog because you have so many wonderful bread recipes. Patsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patsy! Thank you for stopping by ~ you will learn a lot on your journey; feel free to ask any questions or email me.

      Happy Baking!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover