7/31/09

13 Salted Caramel Ice Cream & an Award!

Salted Butter Caramel Ice CreamMust.

Make.

This.

TODAY!!!




Carol, from Songberries just passed this Lemonade Stand Gratitude award to me and several other bloggers. Thanks, Carol!

I would like to pass this award to:

Debby~ A Feast for the Eyes
Anna~ Anna Can Cook
The Crew ~ Eat Your Veggies Peas
Kitty ~ Fahrenheit 350

Heather ~ Flour Girl
Heather ~ Girlichef
Lyndsey ~ Kitchen Dough Dough
Rachael ~ La Fuji Mama
Lynette ~ Netts Nook
Rachelle ~ Pantry Eats

I am grateful for a loving and supportive family! My husband works hard, willingly and selflessly. My boys are my "guinea pigs" in tasting all the things that I cook/bake. I am grateful to get to know, learn from, and appreciate all the new friends that I have connected with during this blogging/cooking/baking journey. Thanks go to everyone for making my life a little better, a little easier, and definitely more enjoyable!

The rules of accepting and sharing this award are:
1. Put the logo on your blog or post
2. Nominate at least 10 blogs that show an attitude of gratitude.
3. Link to your nominees within your post
4. Comment on their blogs to let them know they've received this award.
5. Share the love and link to this post and the person who nominate you.
Tell us how you've come to have an attitude of gratitude.





A bonus award goes to Megan of My Baking Adventures. She posts an ice cream recipe weekly and has got me back on the homemade ice cream train.

Last Christmas, a neighbor of mine made some soft, chewy caramels. But these were different. They had what looked like sea salt sprinkled on them. Huh? I was a little confused. But, I tried it anyway.

After one bite, I was hopelessly addicted. Sweet, salty, chewy, melt in my mouth goodness. Sweet and Salty are a great pair...I think I ate the entire box. Sorry, boys!

I Googled salted caramel ice cream and David Lebovitz, the author behind The Perfect Scoop, came up first on the search. He said that this Salted Butter Caramel ice cream "is better than anything you can get anywhere, including...gasp...the glace Caramel at the venerable Berthillon."

David is right. So right. I have never been to the Berthillon, or to Paris, but this recipe got the double thumbs up, eyes rolled back in the head, and moans of deliciousness from everyone who sampled it. I have made a couple of other ice cream flavors, but this one by far, is the favorite!

This recipe makes one "generous quart." A quart? Only a quart? If I am going to labor over a supposedly fabulous ice cream, I'm going to double it.

So I did.

Little did I know what I was getting myself into.


I made caramel from scratch.

For the first time. Ever.

Made a cooked egg custard ice cream base.

For the first time. Ever.




This ice cream is so smooth,

So amazing,


So good!




I wish I had a step by step post, but making this took both hands, a heavy skillet, whisk, a strainer, and an ice bath. And my brain.

I read, re-read, and re-read David's step by step instructions.

I must have read the same sentence 15 times.






Oh, see those little dark spots on the ice cream?

Those are caramel pralines.

They add a sweet, ooey gooey carmely surprise to this ice cream!





See the waffle cones?

Made 'em myself. Want the recipe?

I'll post it next time...

Salted Butter Caramel Ice Cream
(4x6 printable recipe)     (full page recipe)

13 comments:

  1. The ice cream looks delicious! Your pictures made my mouth water!! Great Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on the award and the caramel icecream looks fantastico..has me craving for some!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Frieda! I am just tickled that you thought of me.

    Now, onto that ice cream.........

    And I can't wait to see the waffle cone recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...this sounds absolutely amazing Frieda!! Did you see the salted caramel cupcakes I made a while back?? It is a fabulous combo! Thank you so much for passing this award on to me...you've put a big ol' smile on my face :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMY! I need to make this. It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the award. You always make my day with your comments. And I promise I will pass along the love in a few days.
    Salty and sweet my favorite combo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. gottagogirl@blogspot.comAugust 02, 2009

    Wow! That sounds amazing! And you really made the cones or were you just kidding???? Makes me tired just thinking about it! I would love to see how you did that on your next post! And to think, a very short while ago I was walking by your house and Zach got sidetracked and stayed while I walked on......I am dreaming that the ice cream was in there and I missed out.....oh well, since I was exercising it was probably for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you! Thank you so much! We just got back from vacation, and this was a delight to come home too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your award. The ice cream looks amazing! My boys are great guinea pigs too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I'm behind! Thank you so much for the award, and congrats to you for getting it in the first place! You definitely deserve it! That ice cream was seriously amazing. And it was even better tonight when I had it in a homemade cone! (Those cones may not have worked out as good as you had hoped, but they were DELISH)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here to get your breadstick recipe. Wow! This looks amazing. So did your neighbor's caramels actually have sea salt on them? Sounds like it,just checking. Did you get a pizelle maker?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This ice cream IS good! I made it again...it is a very soft ice cream; doesn't get rock~hard in the freezer. Thanks for all the sweet comments~

    Lars~ Yes, they had a special flaked salt right on top of the caramels and yes, I found a pizelle maker many years ago on clearance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My girlfriend had this ice cream when we were in Paris last weekend. I have to make this for he. She will be so thrilled! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover