7/29/09

18 BBA: English Muffins

This is the 12th bread of the Bread Bakers Apprentice challenge. I made a different version of these many years ago, and was excited to make Peter Reinhart's version.

Do you know the muffin man? He was briefly mentioned in Jane Austen's 19th century book, "Persuasion."

He's also in a nursery rhyme...



This recipe made only 6 muffins.

I was tempted to double it.

I'm glad I didn't!


You cook these on one side for 5-8 minutes....




Flip them over and cook them for 5-8 more minutes...







Man, these are thick!!


They are approximately 4" in diameter and 1 1/2" thick!


They are put into a 350 degree oven to finish baking for another 5-8 minutes.



Even though I have never 'baked' English muffins, this recipe requires it because the muffins are so thick.


This is called 'fork splitting.'






You pierce your muffin in the sides, with a fork...


all the way around.






Using a 'fork split' instead of a knife is supposed to preserve all the nooks and crannies of your muffin...



Here they are....I think...aren't the nooks and crannies supposed to be larger?



Oh well.



They toasted up nicely.





When my boys heard that I was making sausage/egg muffin sandwiches, they were so happy!

I will definitely make these again, even it it means that I will be smooshing my breakfast sandwich down to make it shorter....

18 comments:

  1. what an interesting recipe! I ve never tried these wish to though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! I wish my oven was fixed already so I can try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sylwia, I'm so sorry your oven is in ICU! Here's to a speedy recovery...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to make English muffins. That sandwich looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have store bought enlish muffins all the time, never thought to make my own, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara & Shari, if you do get a chance to make these muffins, you won't regret it! It was one of the easier recipes for me and the flavor was so much better~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second Chef Shari, I never thought to make my own but they are a serious must have in my house. My enrichment had an activity on making bagels, but I didn't go to that either! This is such a great tutorial; and so on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love english muffins. I have a wonderful recipe, and I just lather on the butter. I will have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog today and I must say I love English Muffins and am excited to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pamela, I'm glad you have a great recipe...this one is different because it uses buttermilk and you shape the dough into balls...no cutting them out!

    FoodieCrystal, Welcome! I hope you find Peter Reinhart's recipe and try these out. Let me know how you like them~

    ReplyDelete
  11. These do look so thick, but yummy too! I never had heard of a fork split!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my word, this looks like heaven. i can smell it through my computer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look great! I'm looking forward to making them, but I've got a few other recipes to make first.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this one too. I can't wait to make them again. (I'm still working on my post for it...)

    Love your pictures. Awesome job... The sandwich looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look so professional!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Frieda I am salsabil At TK I don't have access to my account there ,many problems ,I just looked at your blog A very nice one ,I love making breads too ,and made many in this half past century ,I'll come back enshala ,and thanks for adding me there ,

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK, I see the pictures and have read the comentary, but I can't seem to find the actual recipe! Am I missing something here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is because I am baking through the Bread Baker's Apprentice, where this recipe is found. The author has requested that his recipes not be published. So, you are right, there is no recipe attached to this post.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover