4/6/09

3 Thin Chocolate Mint Cookies

Thin Chocolate Mint CookiesIf you ever get a craving for the Girl Scout Thin Mints, you can either go to the store and get the Keebler Grasshoppers or...

Make your own.

These are thin, crisp, and loaded with chocolatey goodness!





The original recipe came from my college roommate, Erin.

It calls for melting 3/4 c. of semi-sweet chocolate chips over hot water.

We now have microwaves...that tells you how old I am!




Just put your chips in a microwave safe container and melt on high power for 30 seconds.

Stir.

Repeat.

Until they are all melted.





In your mixing bowl, combine:

1/2 c. sugar










2/3 c. shortening

I love this measuring cup from Pampered Chef..

Makes measuring and "pushing out" shortening and peanut butter so easy!








Cream together the sugar and shortening, scraping down the sides of your bowl.











Add one egg, and mix well.











Measure 1/4 c. light corn syrup and add it to your mix.

Pour in your melted chocolate as well.








Mix well, scraping down the sides of your mixing bowl.









The recipe calls for 1/2 t. of mint extract. This is how I store my extracts and spices in my cupboard. A long, skinny basket works like a sliding drawer from my shelf!

I have mint extract and peppermint extract. The mint is milder, and what I used for this recipe.




Add 2 1/4 c. sifted flour.

I didn't really sift. I don't have a sifter.

I just "fluffed" my flour by stirring it with my measuring cup.

Then leveled it off with the straight edge of a table knife.







Added 2 t. baking soda.

Not baking powder!







Added 1/4 t. salt...











and 1 T. of milk. I only have skim milk.

Use whatever milk you have on hand.











After mixing everything together, this is what your batter should look like.

Heavy and sticking to the paddle.





I am using my small stainless steel cookie scoop. I'm not sure what size it is...looks like 18/8 stamped on the bottom.

I don't know what that means, but it holds 1 T. of water in it.

I grab some dough and push the cookie scoop against the side of the bowl.





This looks pretty clean around the edges.

If there's any dough on the outside of the cookie scoop, I just clean it off with my fingers.

That's how I make sure each and every cookie is the same size...




Each ball of cookie dough is put on the bottom of my cookie sheet.
I use the bottom because I use my convection oven and the air is able to circulate all around the sheet, providing uniform cooking.

I love these nonstick cookie sheets from Cuisinart. If you don't have these, just put the cookie balls on an ungreased baking sheet.




Here they all are...about 2 inches apart.

The original recipe calls for the cookie balls to be rolled in granulated sugar. You can do that if you don't plan of frosting these...






In a 350 degree oven they go, for about 10-12 minutes.

They will originally puff up, and then flatten.

When they flatten and the 'cracks' look dry, it's time to take them out.





I let these cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 15 minutes.


It's hard not to eat one right now...

But it's worth the wait!






Still waiting...

You want a nice, thin cookie that is going to be crisp.

Dunkability, I guess you can call it.







I broke one open to show the inside..









Ah, here we go! The perfect size, crispiness, etc.!











I took 1/2 c. of semi-sweet chocolate chips and put in 1/4 c. of butter to melt in the microwave. After about 2-3 sessions of 30 seconds on high, and stirring in between, I got a runny mess.






So I dumped in some more chips and stirred until I got the right thickness for the frosting.

I'm sorry. I'm just making this up as I go along!

It's probably 3/4 c. + 1/4 c. butter.




I frosted only the tops. The frosting set up after a couple of minutes and you could grab the cookie without getting frosting on your fingers.

You could frost the bottoms too, if you really want to.



Thin Chocolate Mint Cookies
(4x6 printable recipe) (full page recipe)


3 comments:

  1. The one I had was tasty.

    I love your spice caddies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I don't use corn syrup or shortening... I wonder if honey and butter would work. Because now I want chocolate mint cookies. And tagalongs. God those are good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey and butter would contribute to a better flavor, but they would change the texture and crispiness of the cookie. I admire someone who uses healthier alternatives~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover