2/2/09

6 Onion Straws

Frieda Onion Straws StringsI am not an onion lover. Unless...it is deep fried! When I saw these on Pioneer Woman Cooks, I just had to make them! They were the perfect side dish to my smoked pork on no-knead rolls. I was in heaven...

If you like the onion straws at Ruby Tuesdays or the blooming onion at the Outback, you should try making this recipe. It is so easy!

Forget thick breaded onion rings. The thinner the onion strings, the better! The outside was light and crispy, almost like a tempura coating. Just right!

I used a Vidalia sweet onion and 1/4 t. cayenne. It was perfect for me; I like things on the mild side. Try the first batch and if you want it spicier, put in more cayenne!

Gotta eat them while they are hot...but I put some paper toweling in a plastic dish, dumped the left overs in it, and covered it with a plastic lid and put them in the fridge. They stayed crispy. Unbelievable! Zap them under the broiler for a couple of minutes, and you've got the perfect topping for a hamburger, casserole, etc.

Pioneer Woman's Onion Strings
(4x6 printable recipe) (full page recipe)

1 large onion (I like Vidalia sweet)
2 c. buttermilk
2 c. all purpose flour
1 scant T. of salt (almost 1 T.)
freshly ground pepper
1/4-1/2 t. Cayenne Pepper (I used 1/4 t.)
Canola oil

Slice onion very thin. Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk for at least one hour.
Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
Heat oil to 375 degrees.
Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, tap to shake off excess, and plunge into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown.
Repeat until onions are gone.

6 comments:

  1. Do we love P-Dub or what? hehehe. I think I might just have to try those onion sticks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Frieda, they're made of ONIONS, remember? Is this the same Frieda who used to pick all the onions off/out of everything? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there is only ONE Frieda that used to do this and it was me ~ hard to believe, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made these before going grain/wheat free... in a word... ADDICTIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replace 1/2 the flour, with cornstarch, the onion rings are even better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. if you truly want onion straws like Ruby Tuesdays used to have shake on McCormick's Barbecue seasoning after they come out of the fryer. It is the only one I have found that taste the same, Trust me I have tried a lot of brands.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover