12/3/08

4 The Not-So-Lonely Brownie

I was lucky enough to start my first two years of college with 5 (Yes five. And one shower) other girls that could cook. And bake. We would take turns cooking one night a week and the weekends were a free-for-all. At the end of the year, we shared recipes. Lots of recipes. Funny, a lot of them were desserts. We made lots of desserts. Gave some away...to cute boys that we wanted to date...This recipe comes from Teresa, a roommate that I had my second year.

Then I transferred schools. I didn't get roommates that cook. Bummer. But I still baked for cute guys. I made this pan of brownies for a cute guy that lived three doors down from me and he absolutely LOVED them...even wanted to learn how to make them! Now, how can I resist that?

We went to the store and traveled down the baking aisle. "Okay, here's the flour. The sugar's right here. Oh, and you need cocoa." By this time, he said, "Why don't we just buy a box of brownie mix?" "Oh, comon'...it won't taste the same! Besides, you can get a LOT of brownies by making it yourself"...Apparently, that sold him.

We went back to my apartment and later that night, he came over with a pan of the best looking brownies I had ever seen. It even had that paper-y, shiny top to it that you get with the brownie mixes...wait, "Did you use a mix?" I asked. "Nope. Did it all by myself," he replied. Wow, now it was my turn to be impressed.

We got into his car and started the 2 hour drive home (we lived in the same neighborhood and he had a car...he was my ride home a couple of times a month). The pan of brownies sat between us. Before we knew it, we had eaten the ENTIRE pan! Well, maybe I ate most of it. I don't know. I just know that between talking to each other the whole way and eating brownies, it just didn't get any better. I didn't know it then, but this guy was gonna be my future husband. And we would make more brownies...a lot more.

Teresa's Brownies
(4x6 printable recipe) (full page recipe)

1/2 c. butter or margarine
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
3/4 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. nuts, optional

Melt butter or margarine with sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly, until sugar is melted. Remove from heat. Add eggs, one at a time, stirring quickly and completely. Add vanilla. Add cocoa, flour and nuts, stirring until no flour remains.

Pour into buttered 8x8" baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Boy does this post bring back the memories! I was there until you transferred schools, and even then I helped you move in, before I left on my mission. Then I missed the whole adventure with Brad (except by letters, thank you very much!) I remember Teresa's brownies...mmm...and the trips to the boys' dorms. Remember singing around the piano down there? Either you or Charlie playing? Ahhh, the greatest times! Thanks for the walk down memory lane...now I'll go make those brownies! (BTW, I need you to tell me how you set up that printing recipe box of yours.) SLY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for your comment on my blog! I love the looks of these brownies - they're one of my favorite treats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story! Can't wait to try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the story!!! I will try these.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover