12/15/08

2 Lovin' Lisa's Doughnuts!

Doughnuts. Donuts. I'm not sure how to spell them, but these are heavenly! Light, luscious, lovely, with a hint of lemon best describes these sweet treats.

I wanted Lisa's recipe and gladly exchanged them for my General Tsao's chicken recipe. I am so glad I did!

I am not sure about the exact directions...she said to mix it in a Bosch like I was making bread. I do not have a Bosch. I really wish I had a Bosch. Then I could make millions of doughnuts. So, I had to halve this recipe to fit it in my classic Kitchen Aid mixer.

Well, Lisa, here goes!

Lisa's Doughnuts
(4x6 printable recipe) (full page recipe)




I measured 1 c. mashed potatoes. I put 2 c. milk with 1/2 c. shortening and semi-melted it in the microwave. Then I added 1/2 c. sugar to the mix.




It kinda looks lumpy. It's the shortening. Didn't get all the way melted. Next time, I'll cream the sugar and shortening together, then add the eggs and milk/shortening mixture. The recipe called for 5 eggs. How do I cut 5 eggs in half? I don't know. I just put in 3 eggs, one at a time









Then I put in the vanilla and lemon extracts. The real deal. Smelled so good!




In a separate bowl, mix in 2 c. flour, salt, and yeast. I even added 1 T. vital wheat gluten. Helps me handle the dough better!





This is what is ended up looking like. Okay, so far, I guess!

Stir that into your wet mixture and blend it good. Now, step away for a good 15 minutes to sponge the dough.




Now, half the recipe is 6-7 1/2 c. flour. This is what it looked like after 6 cups.




This doesn't look ready.



Let's add some more flour.




This is more like it!

Touch the dough lightly with your fingers. If it's too sticky and leaves a bunch of dough on your fingers, it's not ready.


 This looks good.
 




I used probably 6 3/4 c. flour total.







Now, scrape the dough hook and the sides of your bowl. Spray the top lightly with oil spray. I love my oil mister. Cover it with plastic wrap and leave it in a nice warm (85 degree) place for 30-45 minutes.


This is what it looks like....ooooh...nice and puffy...Gotta stick my fingers in it...
Remember, you want it to double in size....







Here I go...sticking my fingers to see if my dough is ready...






Looks like it is! When the "dents" stay in, your dough is doubled in size.


Lightly flour your surface and roll out the dough to 1/2" thickness.
Yes. I actually measured this time.



This is important. Dunk that doughnut cutter into the flour before you start cutting. I got a little excited and forgot. The cutter stuck to the dough.
Flour the cutter each and every time!



Oh, and re-roll your scraps,







cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for 5 minutes before rolling out. Resting the dough makes it easier to roll it out!




Gently put the newly cut doughnut on some parchment paper. Or wax paper. Cover the doughnuts with plastic wrap and let rise till double in size...about 30 minutes.




Puffy doughnut, ready to fry...




Prepare your oil to 365-375 degrees. Fry each side for about a minute, turning over carefully with a slotted spoon or fork.





Drain on paper towels. They're looking good!

Now, prepare your glaze.


I used 2 1/2 c. powdered sugar, 3 T. water, 1 T. butter, 1/4 t. vanilla, 1/4 t. lemon extract, and 5 T. water. I guess you can use milk instead of water. I'm just making this up. Seriously!







Dunk the doughnuts in the glaze and turn over. Stick a fork or handle of wooden spoon through the doughnut hole. Pull doughnut out of the glaze and allow excess glaze to drip off. Set the doughnut on a wire rack with something, paper towels, parchment paper, to catch the drips.



Now, I gotta break this open to see if it is "doughy" inside.

ooooh.....be still my beating heart!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I know this post was forever ago, but the doughnut part sparked my interest!!! I am always looking for a incredible doughnut recipe and I will travel high and low for great doughnuts. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela, you're so sweet! This is a good recipe, although I want to try a different glaze. Lisa only had approximations for the glaze and I really, really, need precise measurements! Joy the Baker has a good blog with yummy doughnuts there. Try her site, too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover