11/28/08

0 Creamy, Hot Artichoke Dip










It's the day after Thanksgiving, and I am snacking. Not only am I snacking, I am also eating something green...

Anybody who knows me well, knows that I have a strong aversion to green food. Not the color green, but green food in general. (I do like green M&M's!) I am a texture eater and have a picky palate. I also cannot handle spicy foods. Anyway, back to green.

Green is a great color...great to look at. Great for the environment. But to eat, well...I have a hard time going there. Imagine the surprised looks on the faces of my family when I not only made artichoke dip, but ATE it.

I am, to an extent, a social eater. If I am hungry enough, desperate enough, I will eat it. Maybe. Thus my introduction to sour cream (college roommate cooking), fried shrimp (double date, which my date ordered for me), bloomin' onions and artichoke dip (they were appetizers and I was HUNGRY while waiting for my food).

I have watched a couple of my friends make this and searched the Internet for some good recipes. By far, the recipes called for thawed, frozen, and drained (or squeezed) spinach. I did not want a whole lot of contact with spinach, so I adapted a recipe and did what one of my other friends did: used creamed spinach. Easy. Yummy.

Print Friendly and PDF 

Hot (or not) Spinach and Artichoke Dip
adapted from Food Network


Ingredients
1-10 oz. package creamed spinach
1-14 oz. can quartered artichoke hearts, drained (not marinated)
4 oz. cream cheese
1/4 c. non-fat sour cream
1/4 c. reduced fat mayonnaise
2/3 c. Parmesan cheese, grated (not the powdered kind)
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. red pepper flakes (I opted out)

Instructions
Thaw out spinach in microwave, according to directions.
Put in a food processor. Add cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, salt, garlic powder and red pepper flakes, if desired.
Process until smooth.
Serve warm, with pita chips, flour tortilla chips, or crackers of choice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover