10/20/08

0 White Bread & Scones

O.k., o.k.....I finally made white bread...after many years of making half white/half wheat or whole wheat bread! I had a couple of friends ask me about the differences in making white bread, so here it goes.






This particular bread recipe comes from Better Homes & Gardens. I found another recipe that had water instead of milk. I decided to try the recipe from BH& G as it had milk/buttermilk. It is a low fat recipe that only has 1 gm of fat per serving. I used Saco cultured buttermilk blend as I am trying to fit powdered milk into my food storage. You could also use 1 T. of lemon juice plus enough milk in a 1 cup measure; let sit for 5 min. I have used skim milk in my bread recipes with good results.




Scones

I made 3 piles with the dough instead of two, which was a mistake! My loaves did not rise very high, but they still tasted good! I reserved the third pile to fry up some scones: Roll out dough, cut into 3" squares and fry at 375* for 1-2 minutes each side. Yum!


White Bread
(4x6 printable recipe) (full page printable recipe)

5 3/4 c.- 6 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 T. active dry yeast
1 1/2 t. salt
2 T. sugar
1 T. vital wheat gluten
2 1/4 c. milk or buttermilk
1 T. butter, margarine or shortening (I used margarine)


Put 2 c. of all purpose flour in mixing bowl. Add yeast, salt, sugar and gluten. In a separate container, combine milk and butter. Heat in a microwave for 2 minutes at power 50 (half power) until butter is almost melted. Test milk to see if it is room temperature (doesn't feel hot nor cold). Pour milk mixture over dry ingredients and mix well. Sponge (allow to sit) for 10 minutes.

Add rest of flour, one cup at a time until dough clings to hook and almost cleans the sides of the bowl. Knead for 1-2 minutes until smooth and elastic. Lightly touch dough. Dough should be wet and soft to the touch and not sticking to your finger.
Scrape down sides, oil the top and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise in warm, draft free place (oven with hot pan of water underneath) for 30 minutes.

Lightly oil your counter top and place dough on top. Divide into 2 piles. Shape into balls and cover with plastic wrap. Allow dough to rest for 5 minutes.
Grease two 8x4 pans. Shape dough and place into pans. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in draft free place for 20-30 minutes.

Bake in 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes or till bread sounds hollow when you tap the top with your fingers. Cover with foil during last 10 minutes of baking if you want a lighter color of crust.

Immediately remove from pans onto cooling rack.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover